Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Ellen: Unplugged

After spending roughly 4 straight hours on the computer yesterday, I realized, I may have a problem. 

I am so reliant on my phone and computer that it's hard for me to go even a few minutes without checking one or the other. Sometimes I go on online binges, scrolling through Pinterest, Tumblr, and other forms of social media for hours at a time. And I have a feeling I'm not the only millennial with these problems. 

When I look back on my life, exactly 0% of my happiest memories involve me typing on a computer or staring blankly at my phone screen. They come from going out into the world, spending time with people I love, and stepping out of my comfort zone.

For these reasons, I've decided to [attempt to] cut back on my usage of technology. Not altogether, because, let's get real: All of my classes require time spent online, I like connecting with friends online, and I need to be able to check things like the weather and important email updates. I also just really like Snapchat. And my blog. And a lot of other stuff. In this day and age, it's not realistic to give up technology completely. And that's kind of sad, but definitely true.

I just want to make a conscious effort to spend my time well in general. And limiting technology is a big part of that. When I pick up my phone to mindlessly browse my apps, or go on my computer to scroll through a neverending display of mind-numbing status updates, I just wanna stop and think: Is this the best use of my time right now? 

Life is pretty short. I wanna get out there and make memories. So this is my first step. 

Here's a list of ideas I came up with for things to do OFFLINE! No phones, computers, TVs, or cameras necessary. 

 
Feel free to join me in my mission to become just a little more "unplugged" :)
- Ellen

PS: I realize the irony of posting this online. Haha. It's all about small changes. Baby steps ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment