Monday, April 23, 2012

Recipe: Skinny Edamame & Chicken Fried Rice


This recipe is  from one of my favorite websites - Skinnytaste! 

I modified it veeeery slightly. I didn't use all of the vegetables because I didn't have them, and I used regular soy sauce, because that's all I had on hand. (But, it is actually so bad for you...40% of your daily sodium in ONE tablespoon. So go for the lower sodium one if you can.) I also added some chicken to make it a meal instead of a side dish. It was..so...yummy :) 

And it was actually the first time in my life I've ever cooked with meat. So, if I can do it, so can you.

Ingredients:
3 cups instant brown rice
1/2 chicken breast, sliced into little tiny pieces
2 egg whites, scrambled
1 whole egg, scrambled 
1 tbsp Smart Balance oil
2 cloves garlic, diced 
5 scallions, chopped, whites and greens separated
1/2 cup shredded carrots
cooking spray
1 cup ready-to-eat shelled edamame
2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce, tamari for gluten free (or more to taste) 
salt and fresh pepper to taste

Whisk eggs and egg whites, season with salt and pepper. In a hot wok, spray a little oil and cook the eggs. When cooked, remove from pan and set aside.

Let the wok get really hot. Add oil and cook chicken first, making sure it's white all the way through. Then, add scallion whites, carrots and garlic for about 30-60 seconds, careful not to burn. Prepare brown rice according to directions. Add brown rice and stir well a few minutes to heat through. Add cooked egg along with soy sauce, scallion greens and edamame, mixing well for about 3-4 minutes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment