Monday, May 26, 2014

Average, Healthy, Happy.

I'm not even going to call this a Mindful Monday because, let's be honest, it's just a rant.

This summer, compared to last, has felt so different. I am baffled by my complete lack of motivation and okay-ness with just being a normal human and not obsessing over weight loss. I guess that's a good thing?

I was scrolling through Tumblr, and I saw someone's post with just rows and rows of before-and-after photos. Some of them really struck me. Like these...


 Of course, when I saw them, I had the predicted reaction: Wow! She looks so much better in the second picture. But then I stopped for a second and looked at the photos again. And I thought What is wrong with how she looks in the first one? And the answer is nothing

I bet both of those girls were in a pretty healthy weight range before they lost all that weight. Why do we, as a society, have to make those girls feel like they need to lose 20 pounds to be beautiful? And if we didn't have these stupid ideals and photoshopped-media influences, I bet we would all think the girls on the left looked better, healthier, happier. 

I bet, after losing all the weight and posting these photos, those girls were showered in compliments. (As they should be, absolutely, because losing weight is hard and they worked so hard to achieve those results, I'm sure!) But, before that, maybe they never received any compliments at all. So they think now that they're thin, they're truly beautiful and truly happy. And every chance that comes up to get ice cream with friends, they panic inside, and think that they can't indulge or they will lose everything. If they aren't thin anymore...what are they good for?

So, for the time being, I'm okay with just being average me. Being thin obviously isn't everything, and I don't need to lose 20 pounds to be a special, important, beautiful person :)

-Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment